Two-step rev limiters are beneficial additions for those looking to protect their vehicle from damage and improve performance. If you’re looking to gain some of the advantages of a two-step rev limiter, you should learn more about them and see if they’re the right fit for your situation.
Here, we’ll take a look at what a two-step rev limiter is, how they work, their advantages and whether it’s the right move for you.
What Is a Two-Step Rev Limiter?
A two-step rev limiter is a mechanism in a car that controls a vehicle’s revving at two points — one at a lower revolutions per minute (RPM) and another at a higher RPM. The lower limiter will dictate launch control and improve the performance of your vehicle, while the higher limiter is located near or at the redline to make sure you aren’t damaging your engine while switching gears.
Two-step rev limiters are usually used by those in sports cars who are trying to reach peak performance. A lot of times, you might be trying to find the sweet spot between gears. If you stay in the wrong gear too long, you could damage the engine. A rev limiter helps protect against any damage from switching gears and also improves launch control.
How Do Two-Step Rev Limiters Work?
As its name implies, a two-stepping car will lock a vehicle’s revs at two points — one at the redline to protect the engine and the other located at a launch point to deliver maximum power. To do this, the two-step will cut the ignition at a certain RPM to build boost from launching at a standstill. This way, unburnt fuel can enter and burn in the exhaust manifold and turbine housing, spooling turbo and building boost for an optimal launch. Factory rev limiters often cut the fuel instead.
The Pros and Cons of Two-Step Rev Limiters
If you’re debating whether to invest in a two-step rev limiter for your vehicle, it can be helpful to take a look at the pros and cons.
Pros of Two-Step Rev Limiters
Some of the benefits of two-step rev limiters include:
- Increased performance: Two-step rev limiters help your vehicle from the start line and ensure you’re getting the most efficient performance possible. For those who are looking to get the maximum amount of power from their vehicle, two-step rev limiters are the perfect option.
- Safety: Pushing your vehicle to the limits can be risky — with the wrong move, you could do a lot of damage to your engine. Two-step rev limiters ensure your engine will be protected at all times. You’ll be able to drive without worrying about any damage.
- Enhanced driving: Limiters allow you to drive your vehicle with confidence, improving the driving experience and freeing you up to push performance and enjoy the drive.
Cons of Two-Step Rev Limiters
Although two-step limiters offer many advantages, you should also be aware of some of the potential downsides, such as:
- Quality: The effectiveness of your two-step limiter will likely be only as good as where you get it from. It’s essential to find a reliable company that can offer you reliable products. That way, you can trust your purchases and avoid future issues.
- Options: Since two-step rev limiters are usually aftermarket parts, you’ll likely have a lot of different options to choose from, which can be a benefit and a potential drawback. The shopping process can start to get overwhelming as you go from seller to seller looking at all the different options. Be sure to do your research and read how-to two-step car guides like this one to narrow your options.
- Risk: Though two-step rev limiters are meant to protect your engine, they also help boost the performance of your vehicle, putting pressure on other aspects of your car. With performance enhancements like these, there’s always a risk that something could go wrong — another reason why you should make sure you’re finding quality parts for your vehicle.
As with most decisions, it’s helpful to look at both the benefits and drawbacks of the products. A lot of this will come down to your unique situation and what you’re looking to get out of your vehicle.
Should You Install a Two-Step Rev Limiter?
Knowing what a two-step rev limiter is, how it works and its pros and cons can help you make an educated decision about whether to purchase one. Still, you may be questioning if you should buy one. If you’re still on the fence about investing in a two-step rev limiter, here are a few tips to guide you toward the final decision:
- Consider your priorities: Two-step rev limiters are great for those looking to boost the performance of their vehicle while also protecting their engine. If you want to optimize your car’s power, a two-step rev limiter could be a great choice for you.
- Talk with a professional: Even with all of this information, it’s still good to get an opinion from someone with a lot of experience in the car industry. Find a trusted company with an experienced staff who can help you figure out if a two-step rev limiter would be right for you.
While talking with a professional can be a great way to figure out if you could benefit from a two-step rev limiter, you may have some trouble finding someone you can trust to give you good advice. A reliable company with years of experience can be the perfect option.
Upgrade to a Two-Step Rev Limiter With Top Flight Automotive
When you decide to upgrade to a two-step rev limiter, make sure you’re getting your products from the right company. Top Flight Automotive is your place for quality parts and supplies, a reliable sales staff and convenience. We make sure all the products we sell are durable and long-lasting. When it comes to two-step rev limiters, you want to make sure you’re getting the highest quality possible — Top Flight Automotive can give you that.
Our experienced sales staff has extensive knowledge of the auto industry. If you have any questions pertaining to parts or tools, our team can help you get what you need.
Instead of going through various sellers to see which is your best option, Top Flight Automotive offers one convenient location where you can find everything you need. We’re ready to help you find the parts you need for your vehicle. Shop our RPM limiters online today!
Leave a Response