General Description of Work Performed:
The Manufacturing Associate may be assigned to work in several departments depending on work load and is responsible for ensuring the expectations of its internal and the company’s external customers are met by completing intermediate and final production processes of the hard goods products. The Manufacturing Associate must thoroughly inspect each product to find and correct flaws prior to routing it to the next operation or inspection station, place all cosmetic and needed hardware on the product, cut and glue excess material, and clean the product ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Properly set up work area for the day’s tasks including calibrating equipment, compressed air lines and vacuum lines, prioritizing assignments, retrieving the correct raw materials, molds and tools.
- Provide quality vacuum formed polystyrene and PVC products by heating raw material in the oven until it reaches the correct placidity and placing the heated material on the mold ensuring an airtight seal and actuating the vacuum pedal.
- Properly cool formed products, remove from mold, trim as required and return mold to proper location.
- Safely and efficiently pour foam thoroughly inspecting, correctly placing, heating, taping, and applying release on materials in mold prior to pouring foam, placing mold in the appropriate location, pouring foam onto the raw material in a specific pattern determined to reduce air pockets or other imperfections, clamping the mold and allowing the foam to cure, removing the product from the mold and making any improvements to the foam if needed and possible (rejecting products that don’t meet quality standards), and trimming excess foam as required.
- Competently maintain the foaming machine to ensure its efficient and continued operation by correctly breaking down the machine head each day, thoroughly removing all excess raw materials from each component, lubricating the appropriate mechanisms, replacing worn components, and ensuring the water tank remains full for proper purging.
- Prepare polystyrene, PVC and vinyl/plastic products for final presentation to the external customer by ensuring the product being produced matches the manufacturing order.
- After receiving the formed and foamed product, remove excess foam and complete the product by cutting, heating, trimming, and folding the material over the edge of the substrate. Fasten the excess material to the substrate by adhesive or mechanical means. Cut or drill out holes in the product in the appropriate locations and attach hardware and thoroughly clean the product.
- Communicate clearly with R & D and both upstream and downstream internal customers including the product inspector regarding tooling issues, product quality and other issues.
- Maintain and keep needed supplies and tools stocked and communicate with team leader or supervisor when a tool or machinery needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Shut down and organize work area at day end competently following machine and equipment shut down procedures.